Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Signs of Aging

Warning: This post contains content that may cause followers older than I to groan collectively and roll their eyes, and those younger than I to furrow their brow in dismay at what is to come (but don't because it causes wrinkles).

This coming month will be the third into my 28th year. It was brought to my attention by a close friend's mother that I am no longer "pulling twenty" but "pushing thirty". I attended my 10 year reunion. Pictures were posted to facebook that revealed the aging process in all it's graphic horror to me and 245 members of my friendslist. The calls of "girls night out", "let's hit the town" and "dude! Party at so-and-so's house" are becoming less and less appealing.  No longer can this girl pull an all-nighter and drag her sorry behind into work the next day. I've experienced two out of the top three worst hangovers in my life these past few months from a few nights of social drinking at the house with friends. My alcohol tolerance, once something to boast about among references to my irish heritage, has been replaced by a "light-weight-Mconebeer" reference.

Could I be getting *gulp*.............old?!

I suppose the previous paragraph may lead one to conclude that heavy drinking was once ranked in the top of my priorities...but in all honesty, I'm the mother of a 7 year old. I've been lucky if I made it out once a month, though once every two or three is more accurate. I must confess however, that after every stressful workday or the end of a long week, I was known to bemoan my responsibilities and express longing for a night out. Now, I just pray for a nap during evening football practice, and look forward to the quiet between my son's bedtime and my own.

The flip side of these shocking revelations being, that the swiftness of the passing time no longer goes unnoticed. I have taken stock of the velocity of my life and google mapped my progress.
I'm only about oh........a billion miles from where I had intended to be.

That being said, my path may not have been paved with shiny gold stars proudly pronouncing my worldly accomplishments but I will tell you what I did stumble upon along the way.  A Scarecrow, a Tinman, and a Lion! Just joshing... But no really (and here comes the gooey stuff), I was met by an amazing individual who taught me how to overcome the insidious giant of discontent. One who gazed at me with assuming eyes, and ordained me something awesome. I was entrusted with the care of a child grown from naivety and narcosis, who in turn granted me the experience and clarity that I lacked. And in return, I gave him my heart entire.

That and financial support for the next 11-15 years. Then he's on his own.
The point of my blog being this really, that the color of young adult-hood blanches over time, to be replaced by something amazing and oftentimes as painful.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment