Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunshine

sunshine's hands woke me gently in the morning
his caresses starting at my toes and snaking up my thighs
my arms and chest
until I feel his lips warm upon my cheek
i wake and share my sleepy smile,
a song already on my lips
and I curl into him
singing, but only in my head.

pulling back my blankets, I leave sunshine in my bed
and stretch in salutation to my day.
beyond my door, little paws pad across the wood floors,
and I smell coffee and bacon.
Going stealth, I slip into the kitchen, grab my favorite checkered mug
and snag the very last cup of coffee
slinking off without making more.
I was never there.

Slunk against the doorway, perched on the very top step
with bare feet and bedroom hair,
I slurp my coffee in a way that would drive my mother nuts.
Like a child devouring their first cup ever of hot cocoa.
licking my lips and wiping it from my chin.
And sunshine laughs and laughs at the sight of me.

my fingers itch with a purpose, and can't wait to get away from me.
I know it's time to write.
so I light a smoke, and savor the feeling
like the adrenaline coursing through my limbs
before taking a running leap.


and sunshine smiles down on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment